This is a bittersweet week for me, although I suppose the end of the school year always leads to those feelings. This year it is different, though. I am saying good-bye to the Rochester district....and hello to being a Kasson-Mantorville Komet. It's tough saying good-bye to the awesome people I have worked with in the Rochester district. Many of them have really helped to shape me as an educator. It's also difficult to say say good-bye to middle schoolers; they accept me for who I am and aren't afraid to get goofy with me. Heading to high school teaching, though, means more maturity and teaching that is based on the students' future as adults, not their future as future students. Teaching high school means, though, the excitement of milestones (being able to drive, homecoming, prom, and graduation).
Last week I interviewed at two schools, and both offered me positions. I had to weigh the pros and cons of remaining in Rochester, heading to Triton High School, or teaching in Kasson-Mantorville High School. When it came down to it, the decision was pretty easy. As a district, they impressed me the most. They also had excellent technology available (hello SmartBoard!). I wasn't overwhelmed with obligations, like I was in Alden. They run on a block schedule, which will be a change for me. Over the course of the year I will be teaching Reading for Today, Language and Composition, Contemporary Lit, and American Lit. I will also be the senior advisor, which means I will help set up for graduation and go on the senior class trip (or darn!).

So, what does this mean? Well, it means I will no longer be traveling between schools each day. It means I will have my own classroom. It means I will be an active part of a school again. It means I will have a continual job from year to year (as long as they renew me). It means....we can finally think about getting a house!!! Over all, it mean peace of mind to both Pat and I....and possibly anyone else who interacts with me frequently.
1 comment:
congrats again on the new job! i am so happy for you!
Post a Comment